Non Destructive Corrosion Surveys
Non Intrusive Surveys
This technique is used to determine the level of corrosion and estimate the remaining asset life of metallic structures. This is useful information for asset owners allowing future planning and scheduling.
Applications of non-destructive corrosion surveys
The process can be applied to pipelines, tanks and all metallic structures using a range of techniques including remote operation. Targeting investment and only replacing assets that are nearing the end of their useful asset life is a key benefit of this technique.
Engineers typically use hi-resolution ultrasonic Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) techniques. This enables a section of metallic material to be scanned at thousands of intervals to measure accurate internal and external corrosion pits.
Benefits of Non-Destructive Testing NDT:
- Ability to determine a remaining asset life expectancy.
- Focused asset replacement and reduced investment.
- No risk of water contamination, discolouration or supply failure during the survey.
- More cost effective and cheaper than taking a destructive material sample.
- More accurate forensic inspection of internal and external corrosion assessment.
- Service includes careful removal of external pipe coating and more accurate external assessment.
- One site visit – multiple surveys.
Engaging with the SSI – Test Inspect Consult division means you will receive a total solution. Our teams are trained to carefully remove protective external coatings, complete an internal/external corrosion scan, under pressure drill and tap, remove material coupons for destructive tests, install gate valves, taps or full bore hydrants and then complete CCTV and take live water samples and sediments from a water pipe.
In-situ soil testing
In-situ soil testing can be completed on site, soils removed for laboratory analysis and a topographical survey can be completed.
We can replace protective coatings using enhanced and structural repair techniques.